S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Program in Cancer Biology (협동과정-종양생물학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_협동과정-종양생물학전공)
Cabin1 represses MEF2 transcriptional activity by association with a methyltransferase, SUV39H1
- Jang, Hyonchol; Choi, Doo-Eun; Kim, Hyungsoo; Cho, Eun-Jung; Youn, Hong-Duk
- Issue Date
- J Biol Chem. 2007 Apr 13;282(15):11172-9. Epub 2006 Dec 17.
- Amino Acids/genetics/metabolism; Calcium/metabolism; Cell Line; Histone-Lysine N-Methyltransferase/genetics/*metabolism; Humans; Myogenic Regulatory Factors/*genetics/*metabolism; Phosphoproteins/genetics/*metabolism; Promoter Regions, Genetic/genetics; Protein Binding; Protein Methyltransferases; Transcription, Genetic/*genetics
- Myocyte enhancer factor 2 (MEF2) plays pivotal roles in various biological processes, and its transcriptional activity is regulated by histone acetylation/deacetylation enzymes in a calcium-dependent fashion. A calcineurin-binding protein 1 (Cabin1) has been shown to participate in repression of MEF2 by recruiting mSin3 and its associated histone deacetylases. Here, we report that histone methylation also takes a part in Cabin1-mediated repression of MEF2. Immunoprecipitate of Cabin1 complex can methylate histone H3 by association with SUV39H1. SUV39H1 increased Cabin1-mediated repression of MEF2 transcriptional activity in MEF2-targeting promoters. The SUV39H1 was revealed to bind to the 501-900-amino acid region of Cabin1, which was distinct from its histone deacetylase-recruiting domain. In addition, the Gal4-Cabin1-(501-900) alone repressed a constitutively active Gal4-tk-promoter, indicating that Cabin1 recruits SUV39H1 and represses transcriptional activity. Finally, both SUV39H1 and Cabin1 were shown to bind on the MEF2 target promoter in a calcium-dependent manner. Thus, Cabin1 recruits chromatin-modifying enzymes, both histone deacetylases and a histone methyltransferase, to repress MEF2 transcriptional activity.
- 0021-9258 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.