S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Simple synthesis of hollow tin dioxide microspheres and their application to lithium-ion battery anodes
- Han, Sang Jin; Jang, Byung Chul; Kim, Taeahn; Oh, Seung M.; Hyeon, Taeghwan
- Issue Date
- John Wiley & Sons
- Advanced Functional Materials, Vol.15 No.11, pp.1845-1850
- Hollow tin dioxide (SnO2) microspheres were synthesized by the simple heat treatment of a mixture composed of tin(IV) tetrachloride pentahydrate (SnCl(4)center dot 5H(2)O) and resorcinol-formaldehyde gel (RF gel). Because hollow structures were formed during the heat treatment, the pre-formation of template and the adsorption of target precursor on template are unnecessary in the current method, leading to simplified synthetic procedures and facilitating mass production. Field-emission scanning electron microscopy (FE-SEM) images showed 1.7-2.5 mu m sized hollow spherical particles. Transmission electron microscopy (TEM) images showed that the produced spherical particles are composed of a hollow inner cavity and thin outer shell. When the hollow SnO2 microspheres were used as a lithium-battery anode, they exhibited extraordinarily high discharge capacities and coulombic efficiency. The reported synthetic procedure is straightforward and inexpensive, and consequently can be readily adopted to produce large quantities of hollow SnO2 microspheres. This straightforward approach can be extended for the synthesis of other hollow microspheres including those obtained from ZrO2 and ZrO2/CeO2 solid solutions.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)