S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Improvement of High Temperature Polymer Electrolyte Fuel Cell Performance with Phosphoric Acid-Doped Polybenzimidazole Ionomer Binder in Catalyst Layer
- Kim, Jeong-Hi; Kim, Hyoung-Juhn; Lim, Tae-Hoon; Lee, Ho-In
- Issue Date
- J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 13, 850-855
- high temperature polymer electrolyte fuel cell; ionomer binder; membrane electrode assembly; phosphoric acid-doped polybenzimidazole
- Pt/C catalyst layers with a phosphoric acid-doped polybenzimidazole ionomer binder were used as
the electrode for a high temperature polymer electrolyte fuel cell. Catalyst layers were prepared with a transparent
ionomer solution in trifluoroacetic acid solvent, an opaque ionomer dispersion in a trifluoroacetic
acid/propanol-based solvent, and a mixture of the above two substances. The nano-sized ionomers in the transparent
ionomer solution were located inside the primary pores, while the micro-sized ionomer agglomerates in
the opaque ionomer dispersion were located outside the primary pores and produced proper proton conduction
connections without blocking the primary pore openings. The optimum cell performance was obtained with an
appropriate mixture of the transparent ionomer solution and opaque ionomer dispersion.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.