S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Development of nanophase CeO2-Pt/C cathode catalyst for direct methanol fuel cell
- Yu, Hwan Bae; Kim, Joon-Hee; Lee, Ho-In; Scibioh, M. Aulice; Lee, Jaeyoung; Han, Jonghee; Yoon, Sung Pil; Ha, Heung Yong
- Issue Date
- Journal of Power Sources 140 (2005) 59–65
- Air utilization; Cathode catalyst; CeO2; Direct methanol fuel cell; Oxygen storage material; MEA
- Incorporation of nanophase ceria (CeO2) into the cathode catalyst Pt/C increased the local oxygen concentration in an air atmosphere,
leading to enhanced single-cell performance of direct methanol fuel cell (DMFC). Ceria doped catalysts were effective at low oxygen partial
pressure (≤0.6 atm) conditions and 1 wt.% CeO2 doped Pt/C exhibited the highest performance. The effect of ceria was more prominent with
air as the cathode reactant and the ceria acted as a mere impurity in a pure oxygen atmosphere, decreasing the DMFC performance. Impedance
spectra showed a decrease in polarization resistance with the ceria addition to the cathode catalyst in low-potential regions confirming the
facile mass transfer of the reactant oxygen molecules to catalytic sites. Transmission electron microscopy (TEM) pictures showed a uniform
distribution of CeO2 around platinum sites.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.