S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Effect of tumor necrosis factor-alpha on intracellular Staphylococcus aureus in vascular endothelial cells
- Park, Wan Beom; Lee, Jae Hoon; Jeon, Jae Hyun; Lee, Su Jin; Kim, Sung Han; Kim, Nam Joong; Kim, Hong Bin; Oh, Myoung-Don; Choe, Kang Won
- Issue Date
- FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2008 ;52(2):247-52.
- Anti-Bacterial Agents/pharmacology; Apoptosis; Cell Line; Colony Count, Microbial; Endothelial Cells/*microbiology; Humans; L-Lactate Dehydrogenase/metabolism; Microbial Viability; Oxacillin/pharmacology; Staphylococcus aureus/*drug effects; Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha/*immunology
- Although tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) is an important host factor against intracellular bacteria, little is known about the effect of TNF-alpha on the persistence of intracellular Staphylococcus aureus in vascular endothelial cells. It was investigated whether recombinant human TNF-alpha influences the survival of intracellular S. aureus (ATCC 29213) in human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVEC) under a condition with an antistaphylococcal agent, and its mechanism. The HUVECs were incubated with TNF-alpha, oxacillin, or both in 24-well plates for up to 48 h following internalization of S. aureus (10(6) CFU well(-1)) into HUVECs for 1 h. TNF-alpha (1 ng mL(-1)) significantly reduced the number of intracellular S. aureus in HUVECs, and TNF-alpha plus oxacillin eliminated more intracellular S. aureus in HUVEC than oxacillin alone. The LDH viability assay and quantification of apoptosis using photometric enzyme-immunoassay showed that TNF-alpha preferentially induced cell death and apoptosis of HUVECs infected with S. aureus compared with noninfected HUVECs. These results indicate that TNF-alpha helps antistaphylococcal antibiotics to eliminate intracellular S. aureus in vascular endothelial cells, partly because TNF-alpha preferentially induces apoptosis of endothelial cells infected by S. aureus.
- 0928-8244 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.