S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Association of polymorphisms in the insulin-degrading enzyme gene with type 2 diabetes in the Korean population
- Kwak, S. H.; Cho, Y. M.; Moon, M. K.; Kim, J. H.; Park, B. L.; Cheong, H. S.; Shin, H. D.; Jang, H. C.; Kim, S. Y.; Lee, H. K.; Park, K. S.
- Issue Date
- Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2008 ;79(2):284-90.
- Aged; Chromosome Mapping; *Chromosomes, Human, Pair 10; Diabetes Mellitus, Type 2/enzymology/epidemiology/*genetics; Female; Genetic Predisposition to Disease; Genetic Variation; Humans; Insulysin/*genetics; Korea/epidemiology; Male; Middle Aged; *Polymorphism, Single Nucleotide; Reference Values; Risk Assessment
- Insulin-degrading enzyme (IDE) is a metalloproteinase which degrades insulin and terminates its action. Homologous deletion of IDE gene resulted in hyperinsulinemia and glucose intolerance in a rat model of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Several genetic association studies examined IDE as a susceptibility gene for type 2 diabetes in European descents. Here we investigated the genetic association of IDE polymorphisms with the risk of type 2 diabetes and its related phenotypes in the Korean population. Among six single nucleotide polymorphisms analyzed, g.-179T>C (OR=1.73, P=0.04), and g.IVS18+99G>A (OR=1.23, P=0.02) revealed borderline association with increased risk of type 2 diabetes. Combining our results with previous data obtained from the European population, g.-179T>C (OR=1.11, P=0.03), and g.IVS24-64A>T (OR=1.18, P=0.005) showed significant association with type 2 diabetes. Haplotype consisting of common alleles of the six polymorphisms was associated with decreased risk of type 2 diabetes (OR=0.82, P=0.02). However, none of the polymorphisms was significantly associated with metabolic phenotypes. We can conclude that variations in IDE might contribute to diabetes susceptibility in the Korean population.
- 1872-8227 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.