S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Preventive Medicine (예방의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_예방의학전공)
Determinants of urinary 1-hydroxypyrene glucuronide in South Korean children
- Lee, Kyoung-Ho; Vermeulen, Roel; Lenters, Virissa; Cho, Soo-Hun; Strickland, Paul T; Kang, Daehee
- Issue Date
- Springer Verlag
- Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2009 ;82(8):961-8.
- Adolescent; Carcinogens, Environmental/adverse effects/metabolism; Child; Cookery/methods; Cotinine/urine; Diet/adverse effects; Environmental Exposure/*adverse effects; Female; Glucuronates/*urine; Humans; Korea; Male; Polycyclic Hydrocarbons, Aromatic/adverse effects/metabolism; Pyrenes; Questionnaires; Tobacco Smoke Pollution/adverse effects
- OBJECTIVES: This study was conducted to investigate the dominant sources of the urinary pyrene metabolite, 1-hydroxypyrene glucuronide (1-OHPG), in South Korean children. METHODS: Urine samples were collected from 102 non-smoking children (aged 10-14). Urinary 1-OHPG was assayed by synchronous fluorescence spectroscopy, following immuno-affinity purification using monoclonal antibody 8E11. Urinary cotinine, a metabolite of nicotine, was measured by GC/MS. Information on environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) exposure, diet, fuel type for heating home, and other possible sources of PAH exposure was collected by self-administered questionnaires. RESULTS: Mean (+/-SE) 1-OHPG levels were 1.64 (+/-0.06) ng/ml (range 0.04-3.27 ng/ml). Two multiple linear regression analyses (differing in how ETS was approximated: by parental smoking or urinary cotinine) revealed a positive association between urinary 1-OHPG levels and parental smoking at home (P = 0.007), log urinary cotinine (P = 0.165), frequent grilled (shell)fish consumption (P = 0.061), and living in a commercial/other zone (P = 0.007) versus a residential or industrial zone. No consistent associations were found between 1-OHPG and the child's sex, grilled meat consumption, or fuels used to heat the home. CONCLUSIONS: These results support that ETS, frequent grilled fish consumption, and the ambient environment are important predictors of urinary 1-OHPG levels in South Korean children.
- 1432-1246 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.