S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Psychiatry (정신과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_정신과학전공)
Taq1A polymorphism in the dopamine D2 receptor gene as a predictor of clinical response to aripiprazole
- Kwon, Jun Soo; Kim, Euitae; Kang, Do-Hyung; Choi, Jung Seok; Yu, Kyung-Sang; Jang, In-Jin; Shin, Sang-Goo
- Issue Date
- Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2008 ;18(12):897-907.
- Adolescent; Adult; Aged; Antidepressive Agents/therapeutic use; Antipsychotic Agents/*therapeutic use; Double-Blind Method; Female; Follow-Up Studies; Genotype; Humans; Male; Middle Aged; Piperazines/*therapeutic use; *Polymorphism, Genetic; Prolactin/blood; Prospective Studies; Psychiatric Status Rating Scales; *Psychotic Disorders/drug therapy/genetics/physiopathology; Quinolones/*therapeutic use; Receptors, Dopamine D2/*genetics; *Schizophrenia/drug therapy/genetics/physiopathology; Young Adult
- We investigated whether the clinical response to aripiprazole differed according to the Taq1A polymorphism in the dopamine D2 receptor (DRD2) gene. In this 26-week, prospective, open-label, double-blind, parallel-group study, 90 patients with schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, or schizophreniform disorder were recruited and divided into two groups according to their DRD2 genotype (A1A1, n=14; A1A2+A2A2, n=76). The efficacy assessment included Positive and Negative Syndrome Scale (PANSS) scores and Clinical Global Impression (CGI) scores. Extrapyramidal symptoms were assessed using the Simpson-Angus Scale (SAS), Abnormal Involuntary Movement Scale (AIMS), and Barnes Akathisia Rating Scale (BAS). Plasma prolactin levels were also measured. Patients with the A1A1 genotype showed a more favorable therapeutic response to aripiprazole when assessed using the PANSS ratio. The changes in the SAS score from baseline to week 4 also differed according to the genotype group. There were no significant differences in the changes in the CGI, AIMS, and BAS scores or plasma prolactin level between the two genotype groups. The results suggest an association between the DRD2 Taq1A polymorphism status and the variation in the clinical response to aripiprazole.
- 0924-977X (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.