S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Dermatology (피부과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_피부과학전공)
Basal and UV-induced MMP-1 expression are inhibited by p53 in human dermal fibroblasts
- Kim, Sangmin; Lee, Youngae; Lee, Dong Hun; Kim, Yoonkyung; Cho, Kwang Hyun; Chung, Jin Ho
- Issue Date
- Exp Dermatol. 2008; 17(11): 939-945
- Adenoviridae/genetics; Benzothiazoles/pharmacology; Blotting, Western; Cells, Cultured; Dermis/cytology/metabolism; Etoposide/pharmacology; Fibroblasts/drug effects/*metabolism/radiation effects; Humans; Matrix Metalloproteinase 1/*metabolism; Phosphorylation/drug effects/radiation effects; Proto-Oncogene Proteins c-fos/metabolism; Proto-Oncogene Proteins c-jun/metabolism; Toluene/analogs & derivatives/pharmacology; Transduction, Genetic; Tumor Suppressor Protein p53/genetics/*physiology; *Ultraviolet Rays; Young Adult
- Ultraviolet (UV) triggers induction of matrix metalloproteinase-1 (MMP-1) and also induces the rapid appearance of p53 protein in the epidermis and dermal fibroblasts. However, little is known about the role of p53 on MMP-1 expression in human skin. Here, we investigated the effects of p53 on basal and UV-induced MMP-1 in human dermal fibroblasts. To verify the role of p53 on MMP-1 expression, adenoviral p53 (Ad-p53) gene was infected to human dermal fibroblasts. Our results showed that basal and UV-induced MMP-1 expression was prevented by Ad-p53. In contrast, p53 inhibitor, pifithrin-alpha augmented the UV-induced MMP-1 expression. On the other hand, p53 activator, etoposide, decreased the MMP-1 expression in both normal and p53-overexpressed cells. In addition, MMP-1 expression was not changed by etoposide and/or pifithrin-alpha in HaCaT cells, which have mutation of p53. Taken together, we suggest that p53 inhibits basal and UV-induced MMP-1 expression in human dermal fibroblasts.
- 1600-0625 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.