S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Microbiology (미생물학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_미생물학전공)
Inhibitory effects of triphlorethol-A on MMP-1 induced by oxidative stress in human keratinocytes via ERK and AP-1 inhibition
- Kang, Kyoung Ah; Zhang, Rui; Piao, Mei Jing; Ko, Dong Ok; Wang, Zhi Hong; Lee, Kyung; Kim, Bum Joon; Shin, Taekyun; Park, Jae Woo; Lee, Nam Ho; Yoo, Byoung Sam; Hyun, Jin Won
- Issue Date
- Taylor & Francis
- J Toxicol Environ Health A. 71(15):992-999
- Blotting, Western; Catalase/metabolism; Cell Survival/drug effects; Cells, Cultured; Comet Assay; DNA/drug effects; DNA Damage; Enzyme Induction; Extracellular Signal-Regulated MAP Kinases/*antagonists & inhibitors; Fluorescent Antibody Technique, Indirect; Free Radical Scavengers/*pharmacology; Humans; Hydrogen Peroxide/pharmacology; Keratinocytes/*drug effects/enzymology; Matrix Metalloproteinase 1; Oxidants/pharmacology; Oxidative Stress; Phloroglucinol/*analogs & derivatives/pharmacology; Transcription Factor AP-1/*antagonists & inhibitors
- Oxidative stress is known to generate reactive oxygen species (ROS) in cells, which subsequently induce the synthesis of matrix metalloproteinases (MMP) and an aging phenomenon. The protective effects of triphlorethol-A, derived from Ecklonia cava, were investigated against hydrogen peroxide (H(2)O(2))-induced damage using human skin keratinocytes. Data showed that triphlorethol-A inhibited ROS formation, induced catalase expression, inhibited DNA damage, and increased cell viability in keratinocytes. Triphlorethol-A treatment significantly reduced MMP-1 expression and production, compared to H(2)O(2)-treated cells. In addition, triphlorethol-A abrogated the activation of extracellular signal regulated protein kinase (ERK), which originates upstream of MMP-1 expression, and was induced by H(2)O(2) treatment. Moreover, triphlorethol-A inhibited DNA binding activity of activator protein-1 (AP-1), a downstream transcription factor of ERK. Data indicate that the antioxidative properties of triphlorethol-A involve the inhibition of MMP-1 via ERK and AP-1 inhibition.
- 1528-7394 (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.