S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Urology (비뇨기과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_비뇨기과학전공)
Serum measurements of testosterone, insulin-like growth factor 1, and insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 in the diagnosis of prostate cancer among Korean men
- Hong, Sung Kyu; Han, Byung Kyu; Jeong, Jae Seung; Jeong, Seong Jin; Moon, Ki Hyuk; Byun, Seok Soo; Lee, Sang Eun
- Issue Date
- Asian J Androl. 2008; 10(2): 207-213
- Aged; Biopsy, Needle; Humans; Insulin-Like Growth Factor Binding Proteins/*blood; Insulin-Like Growth Factor I/*analysis; Korea; Male; Middle Aged; Prognosis; Prostatic Neoplasms/*blood/pathology; Testosterone/*blood; Tumor Markers, Biological/*blood
- AIM: To investigate the relationships of serum testosterone, insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1 and IGF-binding protein (IGFBP)-3 levels with prostate cancer risk and also with known prognostic parameters of prostate cancer in Korean men who received radical retropubic prostatectomy (RRP) for clinically-localized prostate cancer. METHODS: Serum levels of total testosterone, free testosterone, IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 were determined in 592 patients who subsequently received prostate biopsy. Results were compared between patients who eventually received RRP for prostate cancer (n=159) and those who were not diagnosed with prostate cancer from biopsy (control group, n=433). Among the prostate cancer only patients, serum hormonal levels obtained were analyzed in relation to serum prostate specific antigen (PSA), pathological T stage and pathological Gleason score. RESULTS: Prostate cancer patients and the control group demonstrated no significant differences regarding serum levels of total testosterone, free testosterone, IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 across the different age groups. Among the cancer only patients, no significant associations were observed for serum levels of total testosterone, free testosterone, IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 levels with pathological T stage, pathological Gleason score and preoperative PSA. CONCLUSION: Our data indicate that simple quantifications of serum testosterone and IGF-1 along with IGFBP-3 levels might not provide useful clinical information in the diagnosis of clinically localized prostate cancer in Korean men. Also, our results suggest that serum levels of testosterone, IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 might not be significantly associated with known prognostic factors of clinically localized prostate cancer in Korean men.
- 1008-682X (Print)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.