S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Obstetrics & Gynecology (산부인과전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_산부인과학전공)
Association of cyclin D1 G870A polymorphism with uterine leiomyoma in women whose body mass index values are above 25 kg/m2
- Han, S S; No, J H; Jeon, Y T; Kim, J W; Park, N H; Song, Y S; Kang, S B; Lee, H P
- Issue Date
- Oxford University Press
- Hum Reprod. 2008;23(3):525-529
- Adolescent; Adult; Asian Continental Ancestry Group; *Body Mass Index; Cyclins/*genetics; Female; Gene Frequency; Humans; Korea; Leiomyoma/*genetics; Menarche; Middle Aged; Polymorphism, Genetic; Uterine Neoplasms/*genetics
- BACKGROUND: Many studies have shown that a polymorphism (G870A) in cyclin D1 (CCND1) is associated with carcinogenesis in a variety of cancers. Our aim was to determine if an association exists between the CCND1 G870A polymorphism and uterine leiomyoma in Korean women. METHODS: Blood samples of 331 cases and 204 controls aged 47.4 +/- 7.6 and 46.8 +/- 10.4 years (mean +/- SD), respectively, were collected. CCND1 genotyping was determined by PCR and restriction fragment length polymorphism. RESULTS: Allelic frequencies of cases (A, 0.53; G, 0.47) were not significantly different from those of controls (A, 0.49; G, 0.51) (P = 0.22). After adjustment for menarche age and BMI, multivariate logistic regression analysis showed that the AA genotype was not associated with increased risk for uterine leiomyoma [odds ratio (OR) = 1.38, 95% confidence interval (CI); 0.85-2.26, P = 0.19]. However, in stratification analysis of cases and controls with BMI >25 kg/m(2), allelic frequencies of cases (A, 0.56; G, 0.44) were significantly different from controls (A, 0.36; G, 0.64) (P = 0.005), and the AA genotype was associated with increased risk for uterine leiomyoma (OR = 3.61, 95% CI; 1.02-12.73, P = 0.046). Furthermore, the OR for AA compared with combined GG and AG genotypes was 3.16 (95% CI 1.01-9.92, P = 0.048). CONCLUSIONS: The A allele and AA genotype of CCND1 G870A polymorphism have a significant association with an increased risk of the uterine leiomyoma in obese Korean women.
- 1460-2350 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.