S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Obstetrics & Gynecology (산부인과전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_산부인과학전공)
Androgen receptor gene CAG repeat polymorphism in women with polycystic ovary syndrome
- Kim, Jin Ju; Choung, Seon Ha; Choi, Young Min; Yoon, Sang Ho; Kim, Seok Hyun; Moon, Shin Yong
- Issue Date
- Fertil Steril. 2008;90(6):2318-2323
- Adult; Case-Control Studies; Female; Genotype; Humans; Phenotype; Polycystic Ovary Syndrome/*genetics/metabolism; *Polymorphism, Genetic; Receptors, Androgen/*genetics/metabolism; Testosterone/blood; *Trinucleotide Repeats; Young Adult
- OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the role of the androgen receptor (AR) gene CAG repeat in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). DESIGN: Case control study. SETTING: University department of obstetrics and gynecology. PATIENT(S): Women with (n = 114) or without (n = 205) PCOS. INTERVENTION(S): Peripheral blood sampling was done for DNA analysis and serum hormone measurements. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S): CAG repeat length and serum androgen levels. RESULT(S): No statistically significant CAG repeat length differences were found between patients and controls. We conducted a detailed analysis after dividing PCOS patients according to their free testosterone levels. The high free testosterone group had a statistically significantly longer mean biallelic average (24.0 +/- 2.0 vs. 23.0 +/- 1.5), short (22.5 +/- 1.8 vs. 21.7 +/- 1.9), and long (25.5 +/- 2.9 vs. 24.4 +/- 1.9) allelic lengths than the normal free testosterone group. In PCOS patients, a statistically significant correlation was found between biallelic average length and free testosterone concentration, either unadjusted or after adjustment. CONCLUSION(S): The AR gene CAG repeat polymorphism may contribute to the serum concentration of free testosterone in PCOS patients. A subset of PCOS patients with relatively longer CAG repeats (less AR activity) tended to show a higher serum androgen concentration.
- 1556-5653 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.