S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Glutathione peroxidase 3 mediates the antioxidant effect of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma in human skeletal muscle cells
Cited 126 time in Web of Science Cited 131 time in Scopus
- Issue Date
- American Society for Microbiology
- Mol Cell Biol. 29(1):20-30
- Animals ; Antioxidants/*metabolism ; Biological Transport/drug effects ; Diabetes Mellitus/enzymology ; Disease Models, Animal ; Extracellular Space/drug effects/metabolism ; Glucose/metabolism ; Glutathione Peroxidase/*metabolism ; Humans ; Hydrogen Peroxide/metabolism ; Insulin/metabolism ; Intracellular Space/drug effects/metabolism ; Mice ; Mice, Inbred C57BL ; Muscle Cells/drug effects/*enzymology ; Muscle, Skeletal/*cytology/*enzymology ; PPAR gamma/*metabolism ; Response Elements ; Signal Transduction/drug effects ; Thiazolidinediones/pharmacology
- Oxidative stress plays an important role in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes mellitus and in diabetic vascular complications. Thiazolidinediones (TZDs), a class of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPARgamma) agonists, improve insulin sensitivity and are currently used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Here, we show that TZD prevents oxidative stress-induced insulin resistance in human skeletal muscle cells, as indicated by the increase in insulin-stimulated glucose uptake and insulin signaling. Importantly, TZD-mediated activation of PPARgamma induces gene expression of glutathione peroxidase 3 (GPx3), which reduces extracellular H(2)O(2) levels causing insulin resistance in skeletal muscle cells. Inhibition of GPx3 expression prevents the antioxidant effects of TZDs on insulin action in oxidative stress-induced insulin-resistant cells, suggesting that GPx3 is required for the regulation of PPARgamma-mediated antioxidant effects. Furthermore, reduced plasma GPx3 levels were found in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and in db/db/DIO mice. Collectively, these results suggest that the antioxidant effect of PPARgamma is exclusively mediated by GPx3 and further imply that GPx3 may be a therapeutic target for insulin resistance and diabetes mellitus.
- 1098-5549 (Electronic)
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
Items in S-Space are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.