S-Space College of Veterinary Medicine (수의과대학) Dept. of Veterinary Medicine (수의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_수의학과)
Antiobesity effect of trans-10, cis-12-conjugated linoleic acid-producing Lactobacillus plantarum PL62 on diet-induced obese mice
- Lee, K.; Paek, K.; Lee, H.Y.; Park, Jae Hak; Lee, Y.
- Issue Date
- J Appl Microbiol 103, 1140-1146
- antiobesity; conjugated linoleic acid; Lactobacillus plantarum; probiotic; trans-10; cis-12-CLA
- Aims: To observe the antiobesity activity of trans-10, cis-12-conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)-producing lactobacillus in mice. Methods and Results: Lactobacillus plantarum PL62, which can grow in the presence of linoleic acid, was selected and studied. The culture supernatant of Lact. plantarum PL62 contained trans-10, cis-12-conjugated linoleic acid (6·4 μg ml−1), and the crude enzyme prepared from washed cells produced trans-10, cis-12 CLA (1395 μg mg−1 protein). Lact. plantarum PL62 reduced the weights of epididymal, inguinal, mesenteric, and perirenal white adipose tissues and significantly reduced the blood levels of total glucose and body weights of mice ( P < 0·01). Conclusions: trans-10, cis-12-CLA-producing Lact. plantarum PL62 can exert the same antiobesity activity as trans-10, cis-12-CLA in mice. Significance and impact of the study: trans-10, cis-12-CLA-producing Lactobacillus can be a replacement for CLA for obesity treatment via the continuous production of trans-10, cis-12-CLA. The results provide a novel opportunity to develop foods with antiobesity activity.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.