S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Industrial Engineering (산업공학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_산업공학과)
Identification of technological knowledge intermediaries
- Lim, Hyojeong; Park, Yongtae
- Issue Date
- SCIENTOMETRICS; Vol.84 3; 543-561
- Technological knowledge intermediary; Network analysis; Industry affiliation; Patent co-classification
- Intermediaries in a technological knowledge network have recently been highlighted as crucial innovation drivers that accelerate technological knowledge flows. Although the patent network analysis has been frequently used to monitor technological knowledge structures, it has examined only sources or recipients of the technological knowledge by mainly estimating technological knowledge inflows or outflows of a network node. This study, therefore, aims to identify technological knowledge intermediaries when a technology-level knowledge network is composed of several industries. First, types of technological knowledge flows are deductively classified into four types by highlighting industry affiliations of source technologies and recipient technologies. Second, a directed technological knowledge network is generated at the technology class level, using patent co-classification analysis. Third, for each class, mediating scores are measured according to the four types. The empirical analysis illustrates the Korea''''''''s technological knowledge network between 2000 and 2008. As a result, the four types of mediating scores are compared between industries, and industry-wise technological knowledge intermediaries are identified. The proposed approach is practical to explore converging processes in technology development where technology classes act as technological knowledge intermediaries among diverse industries.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.