S-Space College of Veterinary Medicine (수의과대학) Dept. of Veterinary Medicine (수의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_수의학과)
Hyperoxidized Peroxiredoxins and Glyceraldehyde-3-Phosphate Dehydrogenase Immunoreactivity and Protein Levels are Changed in the Gerbil Hippocampal CA1 Region After Transient Forebrain Ischemia
- Hwang, In Koo; Yoo, Ki-Yeon; Kim, Dae Won; Choi, Jung Hoon; Lee, In Se; Won, Moo Ho
- Issue Date
- Springer Verlag
- Neurochem Res 32:1530-1538
- Peroxiredoxins; Glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase; Hyperoxidation; Reactive oxygen species; Cerebral ischemia
- Oxidative stress is a major pathogenic event occurring in several brain disorders and is a major cause of brain damage due to ischemia/reperfusion. Thiol proteins are easily oxidized in cells exposed to reactive oxygen species (ROS). In the present study, we investigated transient ischemia-induced chronological changes in hyperoxidized peroxiredoxins (Prx-SO3) and glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate dehydrogenase (GAPDH-SO3) immunoreactivity and protein levels in the gerbil hippocampus induced by 5 min of transient forebrain ischemia. Weak Prx-SO3 immunoreactivity is detected in the hippocampal CA1 region of the sham-operated group. Prx-SO3 immunoreactivity was significantly increased 12 h and 1 day after ischemia/reperfusion, and the immunoreactivity was decreased to the level of the sham-operated group 2 days after ischemia/reperfusion. Prx-SO3 immunoreactivity in the 4 days post-ischemia group was increased again, and the immunoreactivity was expressed in glial components for 5 days after ischemia/reperfusion. GAPDH-SO3 immunoreactivity was highest in the CA1 region 1 day after ischemia/reperfusion, the immunoreactivity was decreased 2 days after ischemia/reperfusion. Four days after ischemia/reperfusion, GAPDH-SO3 immunoreactivity increased again, and the immunoreactivity began to be expressed in glial components from 5 days after ischemia/reperfusion. Prx-SO3 and GAPDH-SO3 protein levels in the ischemic CA1 region were also very high 12 h and 1 day after ischemia/reperfusion and returned to the level of the sham-operated group 3 days after ischemia/reperfusion. Their protein levels were increased again 5 days after ischemia/reperfusion. In conclusion, Prx-SO3 and GAPDH-SO3 immunoreactivity and protein levels in the gerbil hippocampal CA1 region are significantly increased 12 h-24 h after ischemia/reperfusion and their immunoreactivity begins to be expressed in glial components from 4 or 5 days after ischemia/reperfusion.
- 0364-3190 (print) )
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.