S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Internal Medicine (내과학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_내과학전공)
Tauroursodeoxycholate (TUDCA), chemical chaperone, enhances function of islets by reducing ER stress
- Lee, Yeon Yi; Hong, Shin Hee; Lee, Ye Jin; Chung, Sung Soo; Park, Sang Gyu; Park, Kyong Soo; Jung, Hye Seung
- Issue Date
- ACADEMIC PRESS INC ELSEVIER SCIENCE
- BIOCHEMICAL AND BIOPHYSICAL RESEARCH COMMUNICATIONS; Vol.397 4; 735-739
- The exposure to acute or chronic endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress has been known to induce dysfunction of islets, leading to apoptosis. The reduction of ER stress in islet isolation for transplantation is critical for islet protection. In this study, we investigated whether tauroursodeoxycholate (TUDCA) could inhibit ER stress induced by thapsigargin, and restore the decreased glucose stimulation index of islets. In pig islets, thapsigargin decreased the insulin secretion by high glucose stimulation in a time-dependent manner (1 h, 1.35 +/- 0.16: 2 h, 1.21 +/- 0.13; 4 h, 1.17 +/- 0.16 vs. 0 h, 1.81 +/- 0.15, n = 4, p < 0.05. respectively). However, the treatment of TUDCA restored the decreased insulin secretion index induced by thapsigargin (thapsigargin, 1.25 +/- 0.12 vs. thapsigargin + TUDCA, 2.13 +/- 0.19, n = 5, p < 0.05). Furthermore, the culture of isolated islets for 24 h with TUDCA significantly reduced the rate of islet regression (37.4 +/- 5.8% vs. 14.5 +/- 6.4%, n = 12, p < 0.05). The treatment of TUDCA enhanced ATP contents in islets (27.2 +/- 3.2 pmol/20IEQs vs. 21.7 +/- 2.8 pmol/20IEQs, n = 9, p < 0.05). The insulin secretion index by high glucose stimulation is also increased by treatment of TUDCA (2.42 +/- 0.15 vs. 1.92 +/- 0.12, n = 12, p < 0.05). Taken together, we suggest that TUDCA could be a useful agent for islet protection in islet isolation for transplantation. (C) 2010 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.