S-Space College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원) Radiology (영상의학전공) Journal Papers (저널논문_영상의학전공)
Differentiation of Well-Differentiated Hepatocellular Carcinomas From Other Hepatocellular Nodules in Cirrhotic Liver: Value of SPIO-Enhanced MR Imaging at 3.0 Tesla
Cited 18 time in Web of Science Cited 16 time in Scopus
- Issue Date
- JOHN WILEY & SONS INC
- JOURNAL OF MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGING; Vol.29 2; 328-335
- hepatocellular carcinoma ; dysplastic nodule ; superparamagnetic iron oxide ; magnetic resonance imaging
- Purpose: To determine the diagnostic value of superparamagnetic iron oxide (SPIO)-enhanced MRI for the differentiation of well-differentiated hepatocellular carcinomas (WD-HCCs) from other hepatocellular nodules in cirrhotic liver. Materials and Methods: This study included 114 patients with 216 histologically confirmed hepatocellular nodules, i.e., 23 dysplastic nodules (DNs). 37 WD-HCCs. and 156 moderately or poorly differentiated HCCs (MD-/PD HCCs), who underwent SPIO-enhanced MRI at 3.0T. MRI included T2-weighted fast-spin echo and T2*-weighted gradient recalled echo (GRE) sequences before and after administration of ferucarbotran. The contrast-to-noise ratio (CNR) of the lesion was calculated. Reviewers analyzed signal intensity (SI) of the nodules and their enhancement features on SPIO-enhanced images. Sensitivity, specificity. positive predictive value, negative predictive value. and accuracy in the diagnosis of WD-HCC were also calculated. Results: The mean CNR of WD-HCC was significantly higher than that of DN on T2*-weighted image. Incomplete high SI on SPIO-enhanced T2*-weighted images were seen in 56.8% of WD-HCC. The most prevalent enhancement features of WD-HCCs on SPIO-enhanced T2*-weighted images, were iso SI with high SI foci [32.5% (12/37)] and homogenous subtle high SI [24.3% (9/37)]. Alternatively, 22 of 23 DNs (95.7%) showed low- or iso SI, and 145 of 156 (94.9%) MD-/PD HCCs showed strong high SI. When iso SI with high SI foci or subtle homogenous high SI nodule was considered as diagnostic criteria for WD-HCC, we could identify 56.8% of the WD-HCCs but only 4.4% of the DNs and 3.2% of the MD-/PD HCCs. Conclusion: WD-HCCs have characteristic enhancement features that differentiate them from DNs and MD-/PD HCCs on SPIO-enhanced 3.0T MRI. The lesion conspicuity was better on T2*-weighted images than that on T2-weighted images.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Medicine/School of Medicine (의과대학/대학원)Radiology (영상의학전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_영상의학전공)
Items in S-Space are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.