S-Space College of Dentistry/School of Dentistry (치과대학/치의학대학원) Dept. of Dentistry (치의학과) Journal Papers (저널논문_치의학과)
CXCR-4 knockdown by small interfering RNA inhibits cell proliferation and invasion of oral squamous cell carcinoma cells
- Kim, Ji-Hong; Lee, Jae-Il; Hong, Sam-Pyo; Hong, Seong-Doo; Kim, Mi-Ae; Pai, Hyun-Kyung; Hong, Kyoung-Ok; Hong, Ji-Soo
- Issue Date
- WILEY-BLACKWELL PUBLISHING, INC
- JOURNAL OF ORAL PATHOLOGY & MEDICINE, Vol.38, No.2, pp.214-219
- Oral squamous cell carcinomas (OSCCs) are characterized by a high degree of local invasion and a high rate of metastases to cervical lymph nodes. Downregulation of CXCR-4 by siRNA inhibits invasion and growth of breast and colon cancer cells. However, there have been no reports on the downregulation of CXCR-4 by small interfering RNA (siRNA) in oral cancer cells. We generated two stable CXCR-4-knockdown clones (KBsi and KOSCC-25Bsi) from the KB and KOSCC-25B OSCC cell lines by lentiviral delivery. In vitro invasion and cell proliferation assays were used to investigate the effect of CXCR-4 downregulation on cell proliferation and invasiveness in KBsi and KOSCC-25Bsi. Immunohistochemistry was performed to evaluate the correlation between CXCR-4 expression and proliferation in 26 OSCC tissue samples. CXCR4-knockdown OSCC cells showed reduced invasiveness. The invasiveness of KBsi decreased to 29.5% of the vector-infected controls, and KOSCC-25Bsi decreased to 38.1% of the control vector-infected cells (P < 0.05). The CXCR4-knockdown OSCC cells grew significantly slower than the vector-infected control cells. KBsi and KOSCC-25Bsi cells proliferated at 69.5% and 71.7%, respectively, of the rate of control vector-infected cells (P < 0.05). CXCR-4-positive group had significantly higher PCNA labeling index than CXCR-4-negative group in OSCC tissue samples. These results suggest that the downregulation of CXCR-4 induces anti-proliferative and anti-invasive effects in OSCC and that CXCR-4 might be a useful target molecule for the treatment of OSCC.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.