S-Space Language Education Institute (언어교육원) Language Research (어학연구) Language Research (어학연구) Volume 20 Number 1/4 (1984)
Why Not a Topic in a Relative Clause?
- Bak, Sung-Yun
- Issue Date
- 서울대학교 언어교육원
- 어학연구, Vol.20 No.2, pp. 163-179
- What is of interest in the interaction of relativization and topicalization is that it is not possible for the two rules to apply in a single clause and produce a topic within a relative clause. Consider the following Korean sentences.
(1) *i salam-i (i chaek-un Chelswu-ka cwun) Yenghi-ita.
this man SM this book TOP SM gave be
'*This is Yenghi whom the book Chelswu gave to.'
(2) '*(Yenghi-nun Chelswu-ka manna-n) hakkyo-ka phakoytoYessta.
TOP SM met school SM was-detroyed
'*The school which Yenghi Chelswu met in was destroyed.'
(3) *(ku totwuk-un caphi-n) swunkyeung-i sang-ul patassta.
the thief TOP was-caught policeman prize received.
'*The policeman whom the thief he was caught by was awarded.'