S-Space Language Education Institute (언어교육원) Language Research (어학연구) Language Research (어학연구) Volume 48 Number 1/3 (2012)
대한제국 법어학교에 관한 연구
- Issue Date
- 서울대학교 언어교육원
- 어학연구, Vol.48 No.1, pp. 177-195
- The French Language School of the Korean Empire was established in 1895 and lasted until 1911. The development of the French School occurred in three stages, like the development of five other foreign language schools (English, Japanese, Chinese, German and Russian language schools) in the Empire. During the first stage (1895-1906), the French School was the third most prosperous school, after the English and Japanese schools. A large number of students entered the School, and the employment rates of its students were high. This is because the strong diplomatic power of France during this period leads to the introduction of the French system in areas such as the government's postal services and construction and the hiring of professionals who can speak French. The classes were held at the house of Emile Martel, a teacher at the French School, before the School found a site. Lee Nung-Hwa was a talented Korean instructor at the School, who also served as the principal. The curriculum of the School was divided into two: the language acquisition classes, which accounted for more than 60 percent, and the other subjects (history, geography, science and mathematics). The second stage of the development (1906-1098) saw the increasing influence of the Japanese government. During the third stage (1908-1911), all the foreign language schools were merged to form one school, where the French School became the Department of French Language. Japanese language is included in the curriculum of each department as an elective course during this period.