S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Multifunctional wearable system that integrates sweat-based sensing and vital-sign monitoring to estimate pre-/post-exercise glucose levels
- Hong, Yongseok Joseph; Lee, Hyunjae; Kim, Jaemin; Lee, Minha; Choi, Hyung Jin; Hyeon, Taeghwan; Kim, Dae-Hyeong
- Issue Date
- Advanced Functional Materials, Vol.28 No.47, p. 1805754
- diabetes; post-exercise glucose level; sweat-based glucose sensing; vital-sign monitoring; wearable device
- Wearable bioelectronic technologies have made significant progresses in personalized health management through non-invasive monitoring of health indicators. However, current wearable systems cannot measure biochemical information and physiological signals simultaneously, which limits integrated data analysis and their widespread clinical applications. Here, an integrated multifunctional wearable health management system composed of a disposable sweat-based glucose sensing strip and a wearable smart band is reported. The integrated system with control software electrochemically analyzes sweat glucose levels and continuously monitors vital signs (i.e., heart rate, blood oxygen saturation level, and physical activity). Different sweat collecting sites and sweat generation methods are tested in short- and long-term studies with multiple human subjects by using the developed wearable system, leading to optimized protocols for health monitoring. By combining sweat glucose data and physiological monitoring data, pre- and post-exercise blood glucose levels and blood glucose changes resulting from physical activities are reliably estimated, providing key information for preventing hypoglycemic shock during intense exercise. The integrated wearable system offers a novel comprehensive personalized health management strategy through combined analysis of key metabolic and physiological health indicators.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)