S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Arginine-rich manganese silicate nanobubbles as a ferroptosis-inducing agent for tumor-targeted theranostics
- Wang, Shuaifei; Li, Fangyuan; Qiao, Ruirui; Hu, Xi; Liao, Honrei; Chen, Lumin; Wu, Jiahe; Wu, Haibin; Zhao, Meng; Liu, Jianan; Chen, Rui; Ma, Xibo; Kim, Dokyoon; Sun, Jihong; Davis, Thomas P.; Chen, Chunying; Tian, Jie; Hyeon, Taeghwan; Ling, Daishun
- Issue Date
- ACS Nano, Vol.12 No.12, pp.12380-12392
- Ferroptosis, an iron-based cell-death pathway, has recently attracted great attention owing to its effectiveness in killing cancer cells. Previous investigations focused on the development of iron-based nanomaterials to induce ferroptosis in cancer cells by the up-regulation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) generated by the well-known Fenton reaction. Herein, we report a ferroptosis-inducing agent based on arginine-rich manganese silicate nanobubbles (AMSNs) that possess highly efficient glutathione (GSH) depletion ability and thereby induce ferroptosis by the inactivation of glutathione-dependent peroxidases 4 (GPX4). The AMSNs were synthesized via a one-pot reaction with arginine (Arg) as the surface ligand for tumor homing. Subsequently, a significant tumor suppression effect can be achieved by GSH depletion-induced ferroptosis. Moreover, the degradation of AMSNs during the GSH depletion contributed to T-1-weighted magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) enhancement as well as on-demand chemotherapeutic drug release for synergistic cancer therapy. We anticipate that the GSH-depletion-induced ferroptosis strategy by using manganese-based nanomaterials would provide insights in designing nanomedicines for tumor-targeted theranostics.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)