S-Space College of Natural Sciences (자연과학대학) Dept. of Biological Sciences (생명과학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_생명과학부)
Differentiation of actinomycete genera based on partial rpoB gene sequences
- Kim, Bum-Joon; Koh, Young Hwan; Chun, Jongsik; Kim, Chang Jin; Lee, Seung Hyun; Cho, Moon Jae; Hyun, Jin Won; Lee, Keun Hwa; Cha, Chang-Yong; Kook, Yoon-Hoh
- Issue Date
- Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, Vol.13 No.6, pp.846-852
- Phylogenetic relationship; actinomycete genera; rpoB; signature amino acids; differentiation; identification
- rpoB DNAs (279 bp) from 34 species of 5 actinomycete genera were sequenced and a phylogenetic tree was constructed based on the sequences obtained. The genera were clearly differentiated in the rpoB tree, forming clades specific to their respective genus. In addition, 2 signature amino acid residues specific to Streptomyces were found in a multiple alignment of the deduced amino acid sequences. To empirically confirm that this rpoB gene analysis system could be used to differentiate actinomycete isolates, the proposed system was used to identify 16 actinomycete isolates from Jeju Island. All isolates were successfully differentiated into the genera Streptomyces and Micromonospora. Accordingly, this is the first report that an rpoB sequence analysis has been effectively used to differentiate actinomycete strains at the genus level.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.