S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Chitosan oligosaccharide-stabilized ferrimagnetic iron oxide nanocubes for magnetically modulated cancer hyperthermia
- Bae, Ki Hyun; Park, Mihyun; Do, Min Jae; Lee, Nohyun; Ryu, Ji Hyun; Kim, Gun Woo; Kim, CheolGi; Park, Tae Gwan; Hyeon, Taeghwan
- Issue Date
- ACS Nano, Vol.6 No.6, pp.5266-5273
- Magnetic nanoparticles have gained significant attention as a therapeutic agent for cancer treatment. Herein, we developed chitosan oligosaccharide-stabilized ferrimagnetic iron oxide nanocubes (Chito-FIONs) as an effective heat nanomediator for cancer hyperthermia. Dynamic light scattering and transmission electron microscopic analyses revealed that Chito-FIONs were composed of multiple 30-nm-sized FIONs encapsulated by a chitosan polymer shell. Multiple FIONs in an interior increased the total magnetic moments, which leads to localized accumulation under an applied magnetic field. Chito-FIONs also exhibited superior magnetic heating ability with a high specific loss power value (2614 W/g) compared with commercial superparamagnetic Feridex nanoparticles (83 W/g). The magnetically guided Chito-FIONs successfully eradicated target cancer cells through caspase-mediated apoptosis. Furthermore, Chito-FIONs showed excellent antitumor efficacy on an animal tumor model without any severe toxicity.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Chemical Convergence for Energy and Environment (에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)Journal Papers (저널논문_에너지환경 화학융합기술전공)