S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Cell-based olfactory biosensor using microfabricated planar electrode
- Lee, Sang Hun; Jun, Sang Beom; Ko, Hwi Jin; Kim, Sung Jun; Park, Tai Hyun
- Issue Date
- Biosens. Bioelectron. 24, 2659-2664
- Cell-based olfactory biosensor; Planar electrode; Olfactory receptor; Gustatory cyclic nucleotide gated (CNG) channel; Human embryonic kidney (HEK)-293
- The initial event in olfactory perception is the binding of odorant molecules to specific receptor proteins in the human nose. The interaction between odorant and receptor initiates olfactory signal transduction that leads to a cation influx and change in the membrane potential of the olfactory sensory neuron. In this study, a microfabricated planar electrode was used to measure the generated membrane potential in a heterologous olfactory system. Human embryonic kidney (HEK)-293 cells expressing the olfactory receptor I7 were transfected with the gustatory cyclic nucleotide gated (CNG) channel to amplify the membrane potential. A microfabricated planar electrode was used to measure the electrical responses of odorant–receptor binding. Stimulation of the olfactory receptor with its specific odorant caused an intracellular Ca2+ influx, which was quantitatively measured using a planar electrode. The extracellular field potential generated by the Ca2+ influx through the CNGgust channel of the cells was approximately 10 mV. This cell-based olfactory biosensor, which uses a microfabricated planar electrode for detection, would be useful for screening specific ligands for binding to orphan olfactory receptors.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.
- Appears in Collections:
- College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering (전기·정보공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_전기·정보공학부)
College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원)Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부)Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)