S-Space College of Engineering/Engineering Practice School (공과대학/대학원) Dept. of Chemical and Biological Engineering (화학생물공학부) Journal Papers (저널논문_화학생물공학부)
Regulation of morphogenesis and neural differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells using carbon nanotube sheets
- Kim, Jeong Ah; Jang, Eui Yun; Kang, Tae June; Yoon, Sungjun; Ovalle-Robles, Raquel; Rhee, Won Jong; Kim, Taewoo; Baughman, Ray H.; Kim, Yong Hyup; Park, Tai Hyun
- Issue Date
- The Royal Society of Chemistry
- Integrative Biology Vol.4 No.6, pp. 587-594
- In order to successfully utilize stem cells for therapeutic applications in regenerative medicine, efficient differentiation into a specific cell lineage and guidance of axons in a desired direction is crucial. Here, we used aligned multi-walled carbon nanotube (MWCNT) sheets to differentiate human mesenchymal stem cells (hMSCs) into neural cells. Human MSCs present a preferential adhesion to aligned CNT sheets with longitudinal stretch parallel to the CNT orientation direction. Cell elongation was 2-fold higher than the control and most of the cells were aligned on CNT sheets within 51 from the CNT orientation direction. Furthermore, a significant, synergistic enhancement of neural differentiation was observed in hMSCs cultured on the CNT sheets. Axon outgrowth was also controlled using nanoscale patterning of CNTs. This CNT sheet provides a new cellular scaffold platform that can regulate morphogenesis and differentiation of stem cells, which could open up a new approach for tissue and stem cell regeneration.
- Files in This Item: There are no files associated with this item.