S-Space Language Education Institute (언어교육원) Language Research (어학연구) Language Research (어학연구) Volume 49 Number 1/3 (2013)
Visualization of Collocational Networks: Maritime English Keywords
- Jhang, Se-Eun; Lee, Sung-Min
- Issue Date
- 서울대학교 언어교육원
- 어학연구, Vol.49 No.3, pp. 781-802
- Maritime English; keywords; near-synonyms; collocation; network analysis; visualization; Mutual Information 3; WordSmith Tools; NetMiner; UCINET
- Earlier versions of this paper were presented at the New Korean Association of English Language and Literature (May, 2013), the International Conference on English Linguistics (July, 2013), and the Korean Association of Language Sciences (August, 2013). These earlier versions have been revised as regards data and methodology.
- The purpose of this paper is to explore and then visualize collocational networks of the most frequent maritime English synonyms through network analysis. To achieve this goal, we used WordSmith Tools to extract keywords from the Maritime English Corpus (MECO) Ⅱ and then we compared them with a general English corpus, the British National Corpus Baby. We discuss two pairs of near-synonyms: maritime-marine and ship-vessel from among very highly frequent keywords in the MECO Ⅱ. We used Mutual Information 3 to discover significant collocations in order to find collocational patterns. The meanings of collocates of near-synonyms were grouped in several semantic fields. In order to explore language networks of maritime vocabularies, we used the social network analysis tools, NetMiner and UCINET. We found that collocates of near-synonyms were quite different. After we extended our work to all collocations, we found that the entire network of all collocations also shows distributions and characteristics similar to those of our target networks.